The audience rarely accepts a sage from the stage, they prefer a guide by their side. This shifts the responsibility of learning to the audience. From mere receivers to co-explorers!
By asking better we are doing a favour to ourselves and everyone who’s listening in.
How could we possibly ask better?
- Keeping it simple, short. (One good test is: is it easy to repeat?)
- Open-ended questions lead nowhere. Be specific instead.
- Paraphrase to follow-up! ( Asking whether you got it right! and repeating it for the audience)
- Ask to break the monotony, lead the conversation, explore a subject.
- Ask with conviction, confidence and clarity.
PS: A simple why? could light up a boring interaction, clarify or even startle!